- Trade Marks
- European Patent Attorney (EPA)
- Community Design Attorney
- Community Trade Mark Attorney
- Irish Patent Attorney
- Irish Trade Mark Attorney
- Master of Science in Optics and Optoelectronics (MSc), Queens University Belfast
- Bachelor of Science in Physics (BSc Hons), Queens University Belfast
- Member of the EPI Patent Harmonisation Committee
- Member of the Irish Association of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys (APTMA)
- Member of the EPI
Catherine Hanratty joined Murgitroyd in August 2021 following the acquisition of Hanna Moore + Curley by Murgitroyd. Catherine is a European Patent Attorney, an Irish Patent and Trade Mark Attorney, and a Community Trade Mark and Design Attorney with more than 20 years’ experience in Intellectual Property matters.
Catherine graduated from Queens University Belfast with BSc (Hons) and Master’s degrees in Physics with a specialisation in Optics and Optoelectronics. Her research work focussed on magneto-optical systems.
At the start of her career, Catherine spent several years as a Patent Examiner at the European Patent Office working in the technical area of imaging systems, mainly in the CPC fields of H04N (pictorial communication), G06F and G06K. In addition, during her time at the European Patent Office Catherine gained wide experience of patent data and information systems. Building on this background, Catherine has a particular interest in patent landscaping and opinion matters.
Catherine’s work in private practice primarily entails the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, IP strategy, and patent portfolio management for clients from local SME businesses to larger multi-national companies. Catherine works across several areas of technology, but with a particular focus on inventions in the fields of medical devices, health technology and digital health, optics, telecommunications, software and mechanical devices. Catherine also has significant experience of Examination, Opposition and Appeal proceedings before the European Patent Office.
Catherine is a member of the Irish Association of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys (APTMA) and the EPI.
Catherine is based in our Dublin Office.
Core Expertise: Medical devices, health technology and digital health, optics, telecommunications, software and mechanical devices.
- February 16, 2022: How to save money on IP costs with new EU SME fund
- February 2, 2022: Connected health and software
- January 27, 2022: Intellectual property creates value in Medtech
- September 9, 2021: Amended Rule 19(1) – ‘Designation of the inventor’ at the EPO
- September 7, 2021: SMEs – apply for financial support for trade marks and designs
- September 7, 2021: EPO Patent Applications – Trends and Highlights from 2020