- BEng Materials Science and Engineering, Swansea University
- MRes Materials, Swansea University
- Chartered Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
Tom Baker’s areas of specialism are focused on the medical field including surgical devices, magnetic stimulation and light-based applications. He also has a diverse practice of green technologies including waste recycling, polymer colouring and photovoltaic cells, together with drafting many patent applications in general science and engineering including biomass measurement systems and mechanical fixings. His practice centres on providing pragmatic and commercially-focused patent-related advice including portfolio management, strategy and enforcement, Freedom to Operate (FTO) and defending patent rights in the UK and Europe.
Tom has over 15 years’ experience as a long-standing advisor to a variety of clients including UK universities, UK and overseas businesses, and a large number of SMEs. His considerable experience of working with SMEs and collaborative IP generation between university and industrial partners has allowed him to gain expertise in the need for clear IP planning and integration into a business. He also has an established practice guiding clients through the contentious issues of patent infringement and validity as well as European oppositions.
Tom joined Murgitroyd as part of the addition of UDL by Murgitroyd in October 2021. After graduating from Swansea University where he completed a Masters’ degree studying the effects upon turbine blades through attempts to increase lifespan by welding abrasion resistant plates onto the leading edges.
Tom entered the profession in 2002. Tom is based in our Cardiff Office.
Core expertise: chemistry, materials, life sciences, health tech, Advanced materials, battery, hydrogen fuel cell and energy storage technology, construction and infrastructure, green chemistry, green technologies, medical devices, wellness and wearables
Latest expert updates:
- March 15, 2021: Freedom to Operate explained – are you sure you can commercialise your patented invention?
- October 21, 2020: What is Freedom to Operate (FTO) in relation to patents and IP?
- September 1, 2020: Using patents to establish alternative business models, built around licensing
- June 14, 2020: Should I protect my manufacturing process with a patent?
- October 26, 2018: Patent Box – four considerations to secure tax relief on profits from patented products