- MA (Cantab) Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge
- European Patent Attorney
- Chartered Patent Attorney (UK)
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, University of London
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member of the Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (epi)
In the biological and chemical fields, Michael Marchant’s expertise comes in all sizes. He works on gene sequences, immunology and antibody technology. He has experience in small molecule pharmaceuticals and cellular technology, particularly stem cell biology. He also works on polymer technology, diagnostic technology and medical devices.
Michael works closely with clients to advise on European and global filing strategies. That extends to obtaining and opposing patent term extensions (SPCs) and advising on regulatory and orphan drug issues. He is regularly involved in contentious work, including due diligence advice and infringement and validity opinions, and attendance at EPO opposition and appeal proceedings.
Michael also regularly provides opinions on registered and unregistered design infringement and validity, as well as being heavily involved in registered design filings. He is a member of Murgitroyd’s design group.
Michael read Natural Sciences at the University of Cambridge, where he specialised in plant sciences (including plant pathology and plant genetics). He joined Murgitroyd in 2008 to head the London Office patent group, having spent almost six years at a leading London firm of patent attorneys.
Michael is based in our Croydon office.
Core Expertise: Diagnostic technology, medical devices, microbiology, biotechnology, molecular biology, cellular technology, stem cell biology, immunology, plant sciences, plant pathology, plant genetics, small molecule pharmaceuticals, orphan drugs. Opposition specialist.
- March 10, 2021: Your European Patent is being opposed – preparing for an opposition
- February 24, 2021: Checklist to help oppose a European Patent