Here at Murgitroyd, we have a renowned team that deals with a diverse range of medical device technologies. Our multi-disciplinary team is extensive and includes experts in engineering, biotechnology, electronics, chemistry, materials, robotics, pharmacy, and computer implemented inventions so that we can best-match our technical expertise to our client’s technology.
Our team has an in-depth legal knowledge and is highly experienced in prosecuting medical device technology worldwide, enabling us to regularly obtain patent protection for our clients and avoid any patent restrictions we know that apply in certain countries. For example, the European Patent Office does not permit the patenting of “methods for treatment of the human or animal body by surgery or therapy and diagnostic methods practised on the human or animal body”, and we specialise in drafting and prosecuting patent applications to work around this obstacle.
We support a wide range of medical device clients from individuals to multinational corporations, universities, start-ups and overseas clients. Our team is also experienced working in industry and academia. We have a lived-in experience of product launch and so we can guarantee that our advice is commercially grounded and internationally focussed.
Our wealth of experience spans the medical device field, including:
- Robotics, computer-aided systems and software
- Imaging equipment
- Diagnostic sensing and monitoring
- Implantable systems
- Prosthetics and orthotics
- Surgical tools, stents, catheters
- Wound healing
- Diabetes management
- Cardiovascular devices
- Ostomy devices and urology testing
- Digital healthcare
Our range of services includes:
- Identifying patentable subject matter, advising on methods of medical treatment/diagnosis and where patent protection is not permissible
- Drafting for international protection and prosecuting worldwide patent portfolios
- Developing intellectual property strategies in relation to client’s technology and business goals
- Developing strategies in relation to third party intellectual property rights and managing risks
- Conducting patentability searches and providing opinions
- Conducting multi-jurisdiction Freedom to Operate assessments
- Advising and representing our clients in patent oppositions, appeals and litigation
- Advising on registered design protection and developing design portfolios
- Performing intellectual property audits
- Providing information and training
Our approach is client-centric, practical and proactive. We develop close client relationships to understand your business and technology, taking account of your commercial drivers and technology lifecycle. We work with you to provide pragmatic advice, develop robust and cost effective intellectual property portfolios to protect your innovation and business interests, and to help you navigate and mitigate the risks of third party intellectual property rights.
Keep up to date with the latest news and legal updates, or learn more about protecting your intellectual property